Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Buffalo Zoo

Buffalo Bison 
My summer school class just studied and visited the Buffalo Zoo. Before and after we did, the essential question was "Should there be zoos?" I have to say, for the kids and me, the jury is out. There are such good things zoos do for endangered animal, but then you see them just milling around in a small enclosure- a habitat not like their natural habitat. Then there is the question of whether humans could ever see most animals in any other way, and whether humans would form any sort of empathy and compassion for our fellow mammals and other animal relatives. I have to say, after investigating with 7 and 8 year olds, I am still on the fence. But the Buffalo Zoo and their staff gave us a great tour with great information, with dedicated zoo keepers who are passionate about animals and their care.

http://www.buffalozoo.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment